Having one tool that does a bunch of different things is incredibly useful when you’re fishing, especially when you fish the way I do. In this post, I’m going to be talking about the 6 best fishing multi-tools and showing you the cheapest place to get them.
Here are the best multi-tools for fishing:
- Leatherman Wave.
- Gerber Center Drive.
- Mossy Oak Fishing Kit.
- Gerber Linedriver.
- Piscifun Aluminum
- Booms Fishing X1.
Some of these multi-tools are fishing-specific while others are designed for a range of things. I prefer something that’ll do a few key things really well (and not try to do everything but decent) but all of them are good.
A lot of multi-tools have like 37 different features but none of them work that great. The knife isn’t sharp, it has a useless corkscrew, and a saw that can’t cut through a shoelace. The list goes on and on. Not all of the features on these tools are great but the majority of them are. Let’s jump into it.
Booms Fishing X1
This is a nice and cheap tool that comes with pliers, a braided line cutter (super useful), a lanyard so you can attach it to your pants or backpack, and the quality is pretty good. I wouldn’t expect these things to last forever and do everything you want them to do, but the value you get for the price is great.
If you need a tool that can be used for a range of different things then this might not be for you but if you just need a good set of pliers with a line cutter then this could be perfect.
- The price can’t be beaten.
- It still cuts well and the spring works great (after a year).
- You can use the pliers easily with one hand.
- The line cutter could be bigger.
- I’d like a locking mechanism on it.
- There isn’t a whole lot of grip on them.
These are pretty similar to the Booms pliers but I think they’re slightly better. They’re a little bit more expensive but everything seems to be a bit more high quality. Again, it’s not perfect but it’s a good set of cheap pliers that also comes with fishing line cutters.
It comes with a lanyard as well as a holder that can be put on your belt (both are better in my opinion). A pretty simple tool that does a pretty good job. Check out the video below for more.
- They’re light but still seem durable.
- The line cutter works perfectly.
- I’ve left them in the rain and still no rust.
- People have said it doesn’t cut 40 lb braid that well (I use 12-15 lb and works fine).
- The pliers aren’t long enough to take deep hooks out.
- It doesn’t offer a ton of features.
If you’re just going to be using the tool for fishing then this could be perfect for you. It comes with 6 different tools that help you tie knots and take care of your fishing line. It comes with a knot spinning vise, an eyelet cleaning tool, a split shot crimper, and of course, a line cutter.
It isn’t the most versatile tool but it is super high quality for the price and can be really useful if you struggle to tie a knot. I’ve heard it’s not great for fly line but I haven’t had any trouble using it personally.
- It’s a big help with tightening knots.
- The cutters worked great on the line I use.
- It’ll save you a bunch of time tying knots and changing lures.
- The eyelet tool doesn’t work the best on small holes.
- It’s a bit large and heavy for putting in your shirt pocket.
- It’s not expensive but it’s getting up there a bit (for what it does).
Mossy Oak Fishing Kit
This is a pretty cool little fishing kit that comes with a number of different tools. It comes with long nose pliers, line cutters, screwdrivers, and one of the kits even comes with 2 tackle boxes. The price is super reasonable as well.
The quality isn’t quite as good as some (expected) and I’ve never really used some of the features, but it does come in handy and there are more tools on it compared to the previous tools we talked about.
- The price can’t be beaten.
- You get the most bang for your buck.
- The knife is much sturdier than I thought it would be.
- You’ll have to sharpen the knife often (comes with a stone).
- I’ve heard some people say it’ll rust in saltwater.
Gerber Center Drive
This is my second favorite multi-tool and even though it’s more expensive than the previous tools, it’s definitely a higher quality unit. It’s not a fishing-specific tool but a lot of the features come in handy when you’re on the water.
It’s pretty much a standard multi-tool that comes with pliers, a knife, a saw, etc. If you want a solid tool that’s well built and will use it for more than fishing then I think this could be a great option for you. Check out the video below.
- The blade is a perfect size and is sharp.
- You can use the main features with one hand (pliers, driver, knife).
- The blade keeps an edge for a long time.
- It’s a bit too bulky to keep in your pocket.
- The pliers aren’t long-nosed.
- There are no scissors on it for cutting line.
This is my current favorite multi-tool and I use it all the time for fishing and other outdoors stuff. I’ve had it for about a year now and it’s never let me down (use it 1-2 times per week). It doesn’t have some of the fishing-specific features that others have but the quality is better than anything else.
It’s the most expensive of the six tools but I think it should last the longest. The reason I like it more than the previous Gerber was because it came with scissors to cut fishing line. Everything else is just as good (if not better). Watch the video below.
- The knife stays sharp for a really long time and is easy to take out and use.
- The pliers grip better than any other multi-tool.
- The scissors work great for cutting fishing line (under 20 lbs).
- The durability and ease of use are better than anything else.
- The price is pretty expensive.
- I’d like to see the case built a bit better.
- Mine was pretty stiff at first and needed some oil.
Happy fishing. There are plenty of fish in the sea.
Let me know your thoughts and any questions you have. Like this article? Feel free to give it a share!
Want to enter into our fishing gear giveaway? We’ll be doing giveaways on our YouTube channel and all you have to do to enter is click here to subscribe to our channel, like a video, and comment giveaway. More comments = more chances to win.
Trout fishing is one of the more popular types of fishing where I'm at. There are a bunch of different options to pick from when it comes to trout gear, and in this post, I'm going to be talking...
I've been fishing for kokanee for a long time, and even though you can use pretty much whatever to catch them, having the right kokanee gear will make your life a little easier. My family has a...